The Philippine flag was conceptualized by President Emilio Aguinaldo during his exile in Hong Kong in 1897. The first flag was sewn by Marcela Marino de Agoncillo with the help of her daughter Lorenza and Delfina Herbosa de Natividad (a niece of Propagandista Jose Rizal).
It was in the Battle of Alapan on May 28, 1898 when the national flag was first unfurled in an uprising led by General Emilio Aguinaldo in Imus, Cavite and culminated on June 12 when the Philippine flag was waved in full view of the world following the formal proclamation of independence in Kawit, Cavite.
|A felt cloth depicting the Philippine Sun-faced Revolutionary Flag used by Aguinaldo during the Fil-American War. This was given as premium by a Tobacco manufacturer.|
|Photo showing General Aguinaldo's sculpture and the Philippine Revolutionary flag. |
|Advertising card featuring the Dolls of America and her New Possessions. Made by Estey Organ Company of Vermont, USA.|
During the American colonial rule the display of the Philippine flag was declared illegal by the Sedition Act of 1907. This law was repealed on October 30, 1919. With the legalization of the Philippine flag, the cloth available in most stores was the red and blue of the flag of the United States, so the flag from 1919 onwards adopted the navy blue color.
|1926 Veteranos De La Revolution certificate showing the Katipunan flag.|
|1926 Veteranos De La Revolution certificate signed by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo and Gen. Pio Del Pilar|
|Real photo postcard showing a Filipina with American and Philippine Flag|
|An interesting postcard showing a seated Filipina dressed in our flag. "Abuloy sa Mahal na Cruz MCL" sign at right|
|Trade card issued in Italy Featuring a Moro and the Philippine flag|
|Trade card issued by Eucalol|